Thursday, February 18, 2010

I have finally discovered- FISH!

So last week , my lovely roommate cooked me tilapia- my first fish endeavor since my dad told me haddock was chicken when I was younger. Needless to say, I know my chicken well and haddock is NOT chicken. This completely turned me off from fish, and boy have I been missing out! I'm sticking to the white flaky fillets for now, but perhaps someone will soon introduce me to the wonders of a tuna steak, and maybe even one day.... sushi....

Until then, here is a recipe I made up tonight after watching my roomie make the tilapia. It's SUPER simple!

I also had my first fish market fiasco, basically getting ridiculed for asking for tilapia... I guess it's controversial in the fish world. I couldn't decipher pricing, and I didn't know how much would serve how many... I got about 3/4 of a pound of cod which will serve 2-3.

This is guaranteed to turn anyone into a fish "enjoyer" ( I won't say lover.. yet)

Spicy Baked Fish

Ingredients:
1 pound white fish fillet(s) (ie. tilapia, cod, haddock)
10-12 Ritz crackers (crushed)
2 tablespoons butter or margarine (softened)
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Zest of 1 lemon.. set this aside to squeeze on top after its done baking
Salt
Pepper

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a bowl, combine crushed crackers, softened (not melted) butter, chili powder, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, lemon zest, salt and pepper until the spices and butter have combined with the crackers to make a wet sand-like mixture. Place fillet(s) on a baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Take cracker mixture and press it gently on the whole top surface of the fish. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the fish is opaque and flaky.

Serve with lemon wedges, wild rice, and steamed vegetables

No comments:

Post a Comment